Mission honorees’ work tallies 222 years of service, spanned the globe
And a generous gift will be put to use for mission in Cameroon
Eight mission personnel with combined service totaling 222 years and two very recent gifts totaling $650,000 were honored Wednesday by PC(USA) World Mission Office leaders and guests at the mission personnel reception.
One of the latest gifts is designated for mission in the Republic of Cameroon Linda Valentine, executive director of the General Assembly Mission Council, told the 100 supporters and personnel during the Wednesday dinner break of the 219th General Assembly (2010). Valentine is expected to share the news with the full Assembly later this week.
Personnel honored for 20 or more years of service:
- The Rev. Carol Chou Adams, 36 years in Taiwan, Republic of Korea
- The Rev. Daniel Adams, 36 years in Taiwan, Republic of Korea
- Virginia Gartrell, 28 years in Brazil
- Carol Hastings, 20 years in Japan
- The Rev. Thomas Hastings, 20 years in Japan
- Kathryn Hoffmann, 20 years in India
- Melanie Smith, 30 years in Bangladesh, Nepal and India
- Scott Smith, 32 years in Bangladesh, Nepal and India
Young Adult Volunteers recognized:
- Caitlin Hodge to Miami, Fla., from the Presbytery of South Louisiana
- John Killian to Northern Ireland from the Presbytery of South Alabama
- Maegen Norman to Denver, Colo., from the Presbytery of New Covenant
- Elizabeth Olker to Nashville, Tenn., from the Presbytery of Foothills
- Jim Simpson to South India from the Presbytery of Providence
Mission co-workers who will be commissioned before the full Assembly on Thursday and their children were also recognized at the event.